Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: AB8500 Subs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    AB8500 Subs?

    Has anyone seen any of these?

    Altec Lansing Acoustabass AB8500 Speaker Sub Subwoofer - eBay (item 200463554320 end time Apr-30-10 20:00:56 PDT)

    Can I assume (I hate to assume) that these are 3156 15" subs in a fairly low end cabinet?

    If my assumption is correct, can GPA recone these if they are DOA?

    Would a pair of double 15's be superior to a single double 18 for home theatre subs?

    These are too new for me to know much about them...

    Any help is apprecated. I could make a trip to Normal, Il to pick them up if it came to that!

    Carl Bill

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    AB8500 Subs?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: AB8500 Subs?

    There is a spec sheet on them at Altec pro

    Your assumption doesn't look good.


    I suspect either Gauss or EV 15's relabeled as Altec inside
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: AB8500 Subs?

    I saw those too. I thought they were Chinese, at first.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: AB8500 Subs?

    When I look close at the drivers, they almost look like stamped steel frames with sheetrock screws holding them in the cabinets.

    I do not think these can be 16" cast aluminum frames due to the front edges shown.

    So they may not be worth the gas to pick them up! :O

    I will keep an open mind until I find that they are for sure, not real Altec quality.



    I am currently looking for Altec (Great Plains) Home Theatre subs (projects), so any ideas are welcomed.

    Carl Bill

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: AB8500 Subs?



    Yeah, I looked at a Google search and see that the Altec Pro website shows the replacement woofer as a "AB4500-RLF", so that tells me it is NOT Altec.




    Sad. So I guess I am back to the drawing board for a HT Sub. I do want Altec or GPA.

    I may need to get serious soon with Brad and GM. I need serious support!

    Carl Bill

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: AB8500 Subs?

    Define 'serious'.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: AB8500 Subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Define 'serious'.

    GM
    It sounds like he wants to propose to one of you
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    AB8500 Subs?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: AB8500 Subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Bill View Post
    When I look close at the drivers, they almost look like stamped steel frames with sheetrock screws holding them in the cabinets.

    I do not think these can be 16" cast aluminum frames due to the front edges shown.

    So they may not be worth the gas to pick them up! :O

    I will keep an open mind until I find that they are for sure, not real Altec quality.



    I am currently looking for Altec (Great Plains) Home Theatre subs (projects), so any ideas are welcomed.

    Carl Bill
    Would Altec have built stamped frames in 1004?

    They aren't 16 inch frames the woofer number isn't Altec.

    I do know there were EV's relabeled as Altec, also some Gauss.

    The power handling makes me think they aren't el cheapo woofers.

    But they aren't Altecs.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: AB8500 Subs?

    Ask the seller to pull a woofer and snap a pic.

    IMO, frames look thick enough to be cast but probably not heavy enough to be a Gauss casting, my wager is they're a facsimile of EVM-15B woofers.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: AB8500 Subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    ........my wager is they're a facsimile of EVM-15B woofers.
    Agreed, it has the same MI driver frequency response and appears to have the same T/S specs based on EV recommended cab size/tuning, so combined with what appears to be a similar/same frame material thickness about all that's missing from the front view is an EV logo on the DC.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.